Wednesday 18 September 2013

Food on the train

So a question I had before I came on the train was what would be the quality of the food on board.

Your choices for eating are either what you brought yourself, what you can pick up from the stalls on the platforms, or what the buffet car sells.

For breakfast I had a couple of cereal bars I brought myself, and for lunch I made myself a fine old cheese & salami sandwich with goodies I picked up in Moscow.

Went down to the buffet car a couple of times today (Tuesday). Had a beer mid afternoon (can of Baltika 7 - 100 roubles, about £2) when the buffet car was pretty empty.




I'm in carriage 10 and the buffet car is in carriage 5, which isn't too bad. However it takes an age to get there due to the 24 doors you have to open & close one at a time in between all of the carriages (I counted them!). Particularly scary are the two outside doors between each carriage, in between which you are basically outside and being smacked in the face by the freezing cold Siberian air!

Came back in the evening and had Russian beefsteak, egg & potatoes for 400 roubles (£8)



It wasn't the tastiest bit of beef I've ever had, a bit chewy, but it was pretty decent and certainly not bad for being on a train a thousand miles from anywhere.

Had a quick swatch at the rest of the menu (fortunately in English) and there seemed some decent choices on there, looking forward to trying some more of them. The scrambled eggs & ham look like a fine bet for breakfast tomorrow morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment