Monday 16 September 2013

One day to go

Monday morning and there's only one more day to go. Flying from Glasgow to Heathrow this evening, overnight flight from there to Moscow, all day in Moscow, and then the train leaves Moscow Yaroslavsky station on Tuesday evening.

It's hard to get my head around the fact that something I've thought about and dreamed about all my life is only a day away. Wow. It is however one of only a huge range of emotions going through my head at the moment - wonder at the fact that I'm actually going to do this, excitement at the reality of the free-time and relaxation the journey will bring, doubt of my own sanity at why I'm doing such a thing for no reason, and of course extreme guilt at going away and leaving the family for 10 days

Had a great family day out at Glencoe and Loch Ness on Saturday to have some laughs and try to appease my guilt. A great day, but didn't really appease anything and it is most certainly still there. The next couple of days will no doubt be very tough, and all I will be thinking about is




They're my whole world, and who knows how I'm going to go so long without seeing them. I have a huge amount of respect for offshore workers, armed forces personnel, travel writers, anyone who goes away from their family for long periods on a regular basis. No idea how they do it.

Spent much of yesterday getting my packing all sorted and trying to squeeze everything into my rucksack - its astonishing how much crap you need to take with you to get through ten days ! Between clothes, food, books, electronics & chargers, toiletries, utensils etc, it mounts up very very quickly. Somehow with some careful weeding and chucking of what you think you can survive without, you somehow manage to turn this...




... into this ...




Still weighs a bloody ton though ! And I still have to pick up bread, cheese, cold meat, water, beer & vodka in Russia. Could be a bit of a challenge getting onto the train in the first place - sod the metro, it looks like a taxi job!
Counting down the hours now...

Location:Scotland

No comments:

Post a Comment